name Nanticoke was derived from Nantego, the Native American tidewater people
who moved here when their Maryland lands were spoiled for hunting by the colonial
settlement in 1608. Nanticoke was incorporated as a village in 1830; Nanticoke
was chartered by the Pennsylvania Legislature as a borough on January 31, 1874.
The City of Nanticoke is situated between the Susquehanna
River on the north and the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains on the south.
It occupies 3.4 square miles of land (2,179 acres) and is located in Luzerne County,
Pennsylvania. In the late 19th Century.
early 18th century white settlers were attracted to the site of a village of the
Nanticoke Indians and set up a gristmill, iron forge, and sawmill at the Susquehanna
Rapids. The Nanticoke migrated to New York state in 1793. In 1825 the first anthracite
coal mine was opened in the locality and by 1878 Nanticoke was a major coal-mining
centre. Coal mining declined with the widespread use of fuel oil, natural gas,
and electricity; the population decreased and all the mines were closed by 1973.
Nanticoke is now basically residential with some light manufacturing development.
Luzerne County Community College is located there.
Samuel H. Kress opened his first store, which grew into the national S.
H. Kress & Co. chain, in Nanticoke.
The Concrete City, built by
the Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad's coal division in 1911 to house
its workers, is located near the Hanover section of Nanticoke. Abandoned since
1924, it was designated an historic site in 1998, and its remains still stand
as a tourist attraction.